Muthill Church is an 12thC ecclesiastical site, which probably represented one of two cathedrals in the diocese, the other being Dunblane. The towers of the two may even have been built by the same craftsmen. The church was in use through the reformation up until the 1820's when the new larger church nearby was opened.
The earliest part of the building is the bell tower which dates to around 1140. This was originally a free standing structure. The foundations may be as old as 9thC.