Photo Sharing Community - MyShutterspace

Hi folks,

I've been a member on the site for a while now, but never really used the forums at all and hop this is the right place to post this. Now though I need some help and opinions from all the experts on here. I have a D3000 which i've had for almost 3 years now. It hasn't used anywhere near as much as would like, but just haven't had the time to use it.

Anyway I recently had a new baby boy and really want to get some good photo's of him and the rest of the family. I dug my camera out and took a couple of quick shots to test it out and then the the shutter would not fire. I am trying to use the camera in full auto mode, but it just does not want to focus. I sometimes get one shot out of it then nothing and if i switch the lens to manual it works fine.

I have also tried the other modes on the camera with the same result. The lens is a Nikkor af-s 18-55mm gII ED. Would i be right in thinking the problem is with the lens rather than the camera.

Any help with this would really appreciated

Thanks

Simon

Tags: Autofocus, D3000, Nikkor, Nikon

Views: 1457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a switch on lens too for manual and auto-focus mode. Have you tried it.  some times lens remains unresponsive because of this setting. Even after trying this if the problem still persist, then you need to move to Nikon Service Center.

First of all have you tried putting on a different lens?

Before sending it in for service try wiping down the contact points on the lens.

Do the same on the camera body.

I had this issue once with my D3

Simon, while the AF in most camera's is pretty good, it relies on contrast and a certain amount of light to focus. Most are also set to not trigger the shutter until focus is locked on when shooting using the AF. If you point your camera in AF mode at a white wall it probably won't be able to focus and won't allow you to take a photo.

Before you send your lens away try the following. In the situation where the shutter won't fire, switch your lens from AF to MF and try again. If the shutter fires this time it sounds more likely that your camera can't lock on with AF and therefore isn't allowing you to take a picture.

Another test would be while using AF mode, line up the AF point you are using with something with the most light and contrast in the room, the edge of something dark on something light, anything that isn't flat colour, and half press the shutter button. You should get some sort of beep or flash to say focus is locked on. If you don't get AF working in good light, then there may be a problem, but if its working in AF in good light, and MF is working all the time, then i'd suggest the problem is more to do with available light and the AF system being unable to 'lock on' to your subject. 

You could switch to manual focus in these conditions or buy a faster lens, a 35mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.8 are ideal in these situations. 

As i've wrote this, i've also thought about your subject distance, how close where you? lenses have a minimum distance they need to be able to focus. Again in AF mode if you're closer than the lens' minimum focus distance then AF won't lock and you won't be able to take a photo. Just a thought. Good luck. 

RSS

Featured Link

Sell Photos Online
Our free tips to earn some extra cash up to $2000/month by selling your digital photos online

Follow us

Follow us on Twitter Find us on FacebookSubscribe to Dphotojournal

Photography eBooks

Photography Posing Secrets
A resource for posing a model for the camera. Never be stuck for a pose again.

Digital Photography Secrets
Tricks and techniques for better images with your digital camera.

Learn Digital Photography
Learn how to quickly and easily start taking awesome photos with your digital camera, even if you are a complete newbie

Latest Activity

Deborah replied to Ian's discussion '"FLOWERS" ending 21st April.' in the group Weekly Challenge
"Thank you."
1 minute ago
Deborah replied to Ian's discussion '"FLOWERS" ending 21st April.' in the group Weekly Challenge
"Thanks Stephanie."
1 minute ago
Earl Heister commented on Earl Heister's photo
Thumbnail

Lighthouse

"Joe, Stephanie, Mary, Eva and Jas I really appreciate your kind words."
5 minutes ago
Earl Heister commented on Earl Heister's photo
Thumbnail

Hawaiian Sunset

"Stephanie, Andrea, Eva and Jas Thank you very much."
6 minutes ago