Photo Sharing Community - MyShutterspace

Any experience with a Sigma 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DC IF SLD lens?

I'm interested in a zoom lens in the 50-200mm+ range and have a budget of about $200 USD. I've considered the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro and Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro along with the Sigma 50-200mm. They all fall in the same price range and seem very similar.

I really like the fact the to Sigma 50-200 has image stabilization...a big plus.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these lenses? Any feedback or input would be great

Thanks

Views: 542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have used the Sigma 70 - 300 f/5.4 - 6 D Macro and liked it alot until I dropped it and broke the zoom mechanism.

My 70 -300 Tamron Macro Zoom is an older model and it suffers from severe Chromatic Abberations when shooting birds @ 300mm. The newer ones are supposed to be better.

I don't know anything about the 50 -200 but the lens you have clled out does not call out as a stabalized lens, IF is for internal focusing, IS would be a stabalized lens, and $200 would be a low price for a stabalized lens.

hi Phill,

thanks for your reply. The 50-200mm I was looking at is the Sigma 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DC IF SLD Optical Stabilized (OS). I forgot the OS in the original description. The Tamron and Sigma 70-300's seem to lose sharpness past 200mm from what I read. I would be using it on a Canon 500D, so with the 1.6x sensor multiplier, the 50-200 would be a 80-320mm equiv. anyway.

Hi Eric, I have the Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 w/macro. The only 2 problems I have had is it drifts when you carry it and the major problem is I am having zoom problems where it sounds like the gears inside are slipping. I was told about these problems before I bought it, but like you was on a small budget and bought it any way. I am now looking for something else. Hope this helps.

RSS

Featured Link

Sell Photos Online
Our free tips to earn some extra cash up to $2000/month by selling your digital photos online

Follow us

Follow us on Twitter Find us on FacebookSubscribe to Dphotojournal

Photography eBooks

Photography Posing Secrets
A resource for posing a model for the camera. Never be stuck for a pose again.

Digital Photography Secrets
Tricks and techniques for better images with your digital camera.

Learn Digital Photography
Learn how to quickly and easily start taking awesome photos with your digital camera, even if you are a complete newbie

Latest Activity

Robert Chisnall posted photos
18 minutes ago
Photographer Mark Fisher posted a photo

Chloe Something To Watch © Mark Fisher NYC1-2325

Model Chloe Knight Captured During An Editorial Session In New York.No Second Usage Without PermissionAll Rights Reserved • Models,Actors, Actresses,Dancers,Musicians Used In The Web Posts Are Professionalsand Require Fee For Any Publication or…
33 minutes ago
EVA.CANTRELL commented on Calvin Morgan's photo
Thumbnail

Town house

"and mine too Joe what a great  edit and angle of house  very nice indeed"
52 minutes ago
EVA.CANTRELL commented on Aeriel's photo
Thumbnail

Dream Big

"fantastic contrast  very nice image it is for me a little centered but still very nice"
53 minutes ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by MyShutterspace.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service